Re: [OM] Fill-in Flash with Olympus Flashguns

Subject: Re: [OM] Fill-in Flash with Olympus Flashguns
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:35:20 -0700

So my conclusion is that the F280 designers studied thousands of fill-in
flash scenarios, and decided on a flash power (guide number 28) that gives
the right amount of fill-in for the average case, and a result that is
better than no fill-in for cases that are not too different from the average
case.

But I am happy to be corrected!

-- from Cy in the UK

I think you are correct about the way the decision for the flash
power was made, although 28 is not the guide number for the FP mode.
However I think it is a little more flexible in that the the F280 has
to be emitting light in the FP mode when the shutter opens in order
to guarantee an even exposure. I think there is enough time then for
the autoexposure system on the camera to account for a subject
occupying a large part of the middle of the frame that is too near
for correct exposure and the second curtain released sooner.  Of
course then the background will receive less exposure and it will
look like a "flash shot".  Trying to balance foreground and
background with the usual 1 1/2 stop difference is the trick. I
suspect the feature is adequate for people who use faster negative
films in which exposure can be adjusted in the printing.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?