[OM] auto-exposure with the F280

Subject: [OM] auto-exposure with the F280
From: "William Sommerwerck" <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 15:19:08 -0700
"I think you are correct about the way the decision for the flash power was
made, although 28 is not the guide number for the FP mode. However I think
it is a little more flexible in that the F280 has to be emitting light in
the FP mode when the shutter opens in order to guarantee an even exposure. I
think there is enough time then for the autoexposure system on the camera to
account for a subject occupying a large part of the middle of the frame that
is too near for correct exposure and the second curtain released sooner. Of
course then the background will receive less exposure and it will look like
a "flash" shot."

Exactly. If you're doing a flower closeup, the flash "drowns out" the
sunlight, and exposure is determined by the camera reading the F280's
output.