RE: [OM] are SC lenses to blame?

Subject: RE: [OM] are SC lenses to blame?
From: "Robert Gries" <rgg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 07:35:30 -0500
I think that we have a winner!

After testing, both shift lenses gave the error, as well as the 135/4.5
and 135/2.8.  the most interesting thing is that all are exactly 1.5
stops over exposed.  This sucks as the 135/2.8 and 35 shift are my most
used lenses.  On the good side, all these lenses gave correct results:

18, 21, 50/1.4, 50/3.5, 85/2.

Oh, well I guess I just have to use the -4Ti as my walking around body
instead of the -1n.  It's sad as I really enjoy the clean, clear VF of
the OM-1.

<snip>

I checked my lenses on my OM-2 (calibrated for a 2 screen) with a
Kyoritsu EF 8000 tester and found:

24mm f2    +- 0
35mm f2    +- 0
50mm f1.8 +- 0
50mm f2 macro +- 0
85mm f2 +- 0
100mm f2.8 + 1/4 stop
180mm f2.8 + 2/3 stop.

The error probably is directly related to how the 2 series screen is
etched to straighten the light rays to make it appear brighter, but then
not enough of those rays strike the cds cells on either side of the
eyepiece lens. I rechecked these lenses with same body with +2/3 dialed
in and a plain 1-13 screen in place and found no error with the 100 or
180.  If folks want to use Beattie or series 2 screens in the OM-1 thru
2N they will have to accept this. People can keep it in mind when
shooting slides with longer lenses.  Won't matter much with negative
film.