Re: [OM] Further thoughts on technology

Subject: Re: [OM] Further thoughts on technology
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 02:53:35 -0500
The OM-1/1n are pretty much still "state of the art" ***manual & mechanical*** 35mm SLR cameras.

If you must have something that is dependent on a battery, makes decisions for you, and might get fooled by certain light conditions, then "state of the art" might be (Or have to include) something else.

A camera is simply a device to hold film which opens up a lens for precisely measured time, at a given aperture, to control the light falling on the film. The lens focuses the light on the film.

About the only things that have progressed significantly since the intro of the OM-1/1n are perhaps better glass, coatings and lens designs - and some films. And these only argueably so in the sense that with the best Zuiko lenses it is doubtful that anyone could tell the difference between photos taken with a recent "state of the art" electronic wonder.

Many of my "state of the art" items outside photography stand on similar merits. I won't be trading them in anytime in the forseeable future ;)

Cheers,
Lee