Re: [OM] How to charge

Subject: Re: [OM] How to charge
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 06:53:38 -0500
At 11:13 PM -0500 7/19/02, Lee Penzias wrote:

Be careful you don't wind up working for what kids make stocking supermarket shelves. Many people who get into a "business" ofetn wind up this way. Upping your prices later on is alot harder than making sure you are winning (something worth your time) from the start. You can always sweeten the odd client with a "I'll give you a discount" and drop a few percent as you see fit.

Excellent point. I haven't freelanced in photography, but I did in electronic publishing, and I kept my hourly rate where I wanted it. If I wanted to give a discount, I'd offer "free hours." That way, I could quote an hourly rate that I knew would "stick" and, if/when customers spoke with each other, no one's nose got out of joint because they weren't quoted the same deal as someone else.