[OM] Equipment that suits your needs.

Subject: [OM] Equipment that suits your needs.
From: "Robert Gries" <rgg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 14:36:38 -0500
All this banter about "current" technology prompted me to ponder why I
bought OM so late in the game, and why I have stuck with it.  When I
bought it, it wasn't current, and almost all of it has been used.

It has only been in the last 5 years that I have found and have been
using OM.  Previous to my enlightenment, I had a N*kon F3, shift lenses,
55 macro, and 20mm.  I invested in that stuff because that is what a
professional that I knew was using, and what he recommended I buy.  I
was never really happy with any of it (the way it functioned, metered,
smelled, etc.) but stuck with it as it seemed to be one of the only
games in town.

Concurrent to this, I started to look for a companion camera that I
could take anywhere, and would be my trusty friend.  When I found the
OM-1 I immediately liked it.  It handled well, the meter was VERY
accurate, and it was relatively small next to the N*kon.  As I was
keeping my eye out for a good used OM-1 that I could afford on a college
student's budget, I came across an OM-2n that worked flawlessly for the
years that I owned it.  Quickly the Oly stuff replaced the N*kon, and it
is what I currently use to make a supplementary income (it has paid for
itself, and a lot of grad school!).

I am sure that I will continue to use this stuff for many years because
it suits my needs perfectly.  I have rarely come across a situation that
Oly could not handle.  The only one that comes to mind is a good double
exposure w/o film slippage.  Unless I need more technology, I don't see
any reason NOT to buy used equipment (better investment).  Actually,
there isn't a technology out there now that I think that I could use.
The only technology I need is reliability, and that is hard to come by
these days....