[OM] ( OM ) Rubber?-based glue(s)

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Rubber?-based glue(s)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 21:10:59 +1200
Hi folks,

I never for a moment anticipated how many people would call in with good
advice to offer on glue for OMs.

I started out looking for Pliobond because several people had recommended
it, and said it is easy to loosen with ?white spirit or ether.

Then I heard it damages plastics, and is MEK-based. (Methyl-ethyl-ketone).
Next, that it had originally been made by B.F. Goodrich the tyre company.
Interesting that the present manufacturer is also based in Akron, Ohio, where
Goodrich is, if memory serves me well. I'm sure it used to be available in NZ,
as the name is so familiar to me. Never mind, seems there are alternatives.

And I haven't mentioned Ados F2, which I use a lot (with mixed feelings as to
it's efficacy), and a small range of rubber cements sold by peddlers of push-
bikes (neat pun, eh?).

I was told about the official OM glue which is kind to metal and plastic alike
-
Hamatite No. A-862-B, available from Olympus as part number OT-1125;
100ml for about $NZ12. I looked up Hamatite and found that it is made by a
division of Yokohama, the very large Japanese tyre manufacturer. They make
a HUGE range of adhesives, and if you look at their web-page illustrating
automobile uses for Hamatite, you can see that they reckon on about 20
different kinds having a specific use in a car. I suppose they would, since
they make the stuff.

Then Paul from Queensland wrote telling me " Selleys also make an acrylic
KwikGrip which is toluene free and somewhat easier to work with than
traditional contact cement and dries clear like PVA (Aquadhere).  It also
handles more like PVA which makes work easier.

I've used the acrylic KwikGrip with good effect, sticking down lifting
leatherette edges on hard lens cases.

The importance of using contact cement is that it can be readily made to let
go with the application of a little heat.  e.g. access to screws hidden under
leatherette on camera bodies.  Good ol' brown contact cement excels
there.  I've never tried to undo the acrylic but it seems to bond a little
more. "

Mike from Vancouver Island added some useful ideas with " I'm not familiar
with Pliobond brand but I have used a lot of contact cement. In fact I was
using it less than an hour ago on a job.
Contact cement has gone through some changes. I haven't used the
petroleum solvent based products in many years. The water based products
are safer, easier to use, healthier and all together superior. I prefer
the 3M Fastbond #30. Perhaps 3M products are available in NZ "

Roger from Denmark admonished "  I would be uneasy using a contact
cement instead of a rubber cement (Pliobond) for some applications,
specifically using contact cement for John Hermanson's back foam kits. I
imagine that foam glued with normal contact cement would be much more
difficult to remove subsequently than foam glued with rubber cement (John
recommends Pliobond). "

Winsor provided instances of industrial use of Pliobond
"Pliobond is a rubber based contact cement. It is widely used bonding
veneers and printed surfaces like Formica.  You should be able to
find an equivalent in your local hardware or building supply store."

David in South Australia advised "I would say local equivalents are like
Selley's Kwik-Grip (very runny-standard contact cement) or Gel-Grip
(somewhat thicker- for formica/laminex).
However, both these products are toluene based.
Selley's handyman products are sold by Dulux in NZ.."

John Wheeler advised  "They must have made an awful lot of this stuff. I
remember we used Pliobond back in the early fifties when I was serving a
ground engineer's apprenticeship with Qantas in Sydney. It was the adhesive
of
choice for fabric repairs on cabin furniture in DC-3's and 4's etc.
Another somewhat sinister use was, when mixed with equal parts of
graphite grease, smearing it on unmentionable areas of first year
apprentices as a form of initiation :-).

I'd be tempted to use a good quality i.e., Selleys, contact cement for
your application."

John H, fresh from another CLA of an OM perhaps, advised " From hobby
stores try  Hobsco's "Goo", another brown rubber cement, this one
acetone based, Pliobond uses mek."

I put all these responses into one letter, since there's quite some collective
wisdom there and it should be worth consulting from time to time.

What a range of solvent bases, and interesting to hear of heat to loosen the
hold of a rubber-based glue. I'll let you know what I decide.

Brian