[OM] state-of-the-art technology

Subject: [OM] state-of-the-art technology
From: "William Sommerwerck" <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 07:15:21 -0700
Cc: "J. Gregory Lefebvre" <jgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I don't understand the remark that OM cameras "are still pretty much
state-of-the-art." Multi-spot metering remains unique and useful, nobody has
ever made such tiny lenses, and -- sans motor drive -- OMs are remarkably
compact and "hand-some," but OMs lack evaluative metering, integral
motordrive, autofocus, and "customizability."

The kind of camera we use very much depends on the kind of pictures we're
taking. For snapshots, the IS-30 is non-pareil. (I have an Infinity Zoom 80
Wide DLX, but its autofocus is so slow it drives me crazy -- and interferes
with getting the shot I want.) But when I'm shooting slowly and
deliberatively, the IS-30's automation is a distraction.

Of course, if you're willing to carry two cameras, you can have your cake
and eat it.

The new IS-5 seeks to bridge the gap by offering manual exposure. Manual
focus would be nice, too, but Olympus didn't provide it, probably because
the IS cameras use varifocal lenses. For a company whose slogan is
"Nothing's impossible," it's a disappointing omission.

The question of whether beginning photographers should start with a simple
camera so they won't be distracted by automation and they can focus on the
subject, or they should use a wonderbrick because the automation removes
consideration of everything else and they can focus on the subject, will
probably never be resolved -- other than noting that focusing on the subject
is the most important part of photography, no matter how you define
"focusing."

I believe beginning photographers should use a Polaroid OneStep, because
it's a camera of limited capabilities that uses rather expensive film, but
provides immediate feedback. David Vestal recommended using a manual
camera -- even a Leica -- set at the hyperfocal distance and one or two
stops wider than the "sunny-16" rule to keep the photographer away from the
technicalities.

By the way, I recently learned the origin of the word "snapshot." It's a gun
metaphor -- a "snap shot" is a quick shot, made when there's no time to aim
carefully.

I own a 50-gauge black-powder rifle that will kill any single (or married)
person just as dead as an AK-47. "Unfortunately," I can't kill another
person until I reload. So, in that respect, it's hardly state-of-the-art.
And Washington State law acknowledges this by not requiring a gun permit. It
can only kill one person at a time, so it's not "really" a firearm.

The ultimate use of automatic weapons is to rip apart the tires on SUVs.
Followed by the rest of the vehicle.