RE: [OM] Further thoughts on technology

Subject: RE: [OM] Further thoughts on technology
From: Marten Beels <mbeels@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:07:44 -0700 (PDT)
Ok, here are my 2 cents.

True, technology such as autofocus can aid in getting
shots that would be difficult with a manual focus
lens.  But I think that my biggest issue is that the
technology in AF Program exposure cameras is often
used improperly, not resulting in improved photos.
They are often used as an excuse to avoid learning the
basics of photography.  I have heard of many people
that wanted to go buy a "good camera" (meaning latest
technology SLR) so they could get good pictures
without having to exert any effort on their own part
to improve their pictures.  Then the resulting photos
are no better composed, exposed, or framed then the
shots with their AF autoexposure P&S.

For example, a relative recently bought a mid range
Nikon AF SLR because she "wanted good pictures".  She
asked me to take a photo of her with it, so I asked
how to take it off of Program mode, she didn't even
know what I was talking about.  I'm pretty sure that
every shot that she has ever taken was on the program
mode.  (I eventually settled on using the portrait
mode)

What irks me is that people see technology as a
crutch, not a tool.  The idea that a "better camera"
will improve their photos more then a simple
understanding of shutter speeds and aperatures.

*The reason to buy an AF autoexposure camera is to use
those tools when needed, not to depend on them.*

I am not completely anti-technology, I think that the
more tools we have available to us, the better.  But
only if we use them properly.

Marten