RE: [OM] Further thoughts on technology

Subject: RE: [OM] Further thoughts on technology
From: jowilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 13:06:09 -0500
>===== Original Message From Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> =====
>On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 08:32, jowilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>===== Original Message From "Timpe, Jim" <Jim.Timpe@xxxxxxxxx> =====
>>>Prior to the industrial revolution, what were the most technologically
>>>advanced/sophisticated 'things' in the world?
>>>
>>>Jim
>
>>In the Renaissance (which I reckon is pre-industrial revolution), there were
>>three "technical" wonders often discussed. I seem to remember only two of
them
>>-- the compass (i.e., magnetism) and gunpowder.  (The latter was often
>>described as a gift from Satan.)
>
>Hmmm... Both the compass and gunpowder were inventions of
>the Chinese.  Maybe the Chinese were/are the "most
>technologically advanced/sophisticated" people in the world?
>       -Dan

They certainly were at the time of Marco Polo's visit. They also had superior
sailing vessels to anything in the west at the time of European "voyages of
discovery" (as I understand it).

I think maybe the third pre-industrial-revolution technical "wonder" was the
printing press.  I believe the idea for that came from China too.

Joel W.