Re: [OM] NEVER READY BATTERIES

Subject: Re: [OM] NEVER READY BATTERIES
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 17:09:00 -0600
At 11:33 PM 7/25/2002 +0100, John Duggan wrote:
>I am a seriously angry bunny!  Just opened my Petzl dual beam headtorch to
>change batteries as the light beam was getting dim. The waterproof battery
>box was full of battery goo!   The energiser "leakproof" batteries - use
>before1/2007 had leaked. they have been in the headset for less than a month
>and were NOT flat as the headtorch was still working.
>  The headset which is used for hiking / sea fishing is an expensive piece
>of kit  £40 and is less than 6 months old  :-((   Does anyone on the list
>have any suggestions on how to neutralise the crud. The battery contacts are
>stainless steel, but the takeoff cable is routed under the contacts and
>cannot be reached. As it is critical this unit  does not fail in use I need
>to be able to sort it properly or bin it :-((

John:

My condolences.  I wasn't aware that Energizer batteries were advertised
anywhere as "leakproof" -- unless specifically hermetically sealed, *no*
battery is leakproof; they actually have to be engineered to leak in preference
to exploding should there be a build-up of pressure inside the cell.

Anyways, try a solution of baking soda in water.  It's helped me before, and
it's a mild enough alkaline that it shouldn't hurt it.  Then rinse with lots of
plain water and allow to dry thoroughly (since your headtorch is partially
enclosed, thorough drying may take several days under the best of
circumstances).  You can also do a two-step process: baking soda solution
first, mild acid (such as dilute vinegar) next, then rinse and dry.

Alternatively, if you're really worried about corrosion, a denatured alcohol
(methyl alcohol) swab/bath might do the trick.

Garth