[OM] [OT] Another status on the helicopter pilot

Subject: [OM] [OT] Another status on the helicopter pilot
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 09:05:33 -0400
Those of you who've been around on the list for a long time will
remember that my son had a near-fatal run-in between his NY state police
helicopter and high-voltage power lines.  It's hard to believe but it
will have been three years ago this September.  Since he still has minor
episodes of vertigo the FAA will not renew his Class 2 license until he
has been 100 percent symptom free for at least one year.  Since he can't
obtain an FAA license the NYSP have finally moved to place him on
permanent disability retirement... a process that could go on for
another six months.  Disability retirement income is not enough to live
on so he will have to find some other line of work.

In stark contrast (because they always fly with two pilots), the US Army
has approved him to resume flying with the NY National Guard.  He just
completed 10 hours retraining time in a "Huey" without incindent other
than some minor vertigo while climbing around on the top of the
helicopter to inspect the rotor assembly.  The final order from the
instructor pilot was to fly under some high-voltage power lines which he
did.  Face your fears I guess.

Now, for some minor Oly content.  I got a mini-Fang the other day while
junk bin diving in a Cambridge, Mass. camera shop.  I disovered a
9-condition Domke camera strap, a 9-condition 62mm screw-in metal lens
cap for my Kiron 35-135 and brand new looking Oly 49mm and rear lens
caps.  Total price from this normally expensive store was $1.50.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA