Re: [OM] Digital Probem?

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Probem?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 15:06:20 -0600
At 12:33 PM 7/28/2002 -0700, Martin G. Flink wrote:
>Trying to understand the digital revolution I picked up an Olympus Camedia
>D-100 digital camera...It is 1.3 megapixel and is a basic point and shoot
>about the same size as the Stylus...The first thing I noticed is how quickly
>it drained two Duracell alkaline batteries...In fact the batteries heated up
>to the point that it could be felt through the case...I've just put in 1800
>mAh capacity nickel metal hydride batteries, which warm up but not like the
>alkaline...I this common or does the camera have a short?

Nope.  It's common.  Alkalines simply don't have the oooomph to drive digital
cameras much (although I have used them successfully for short periods of time
while keeping the LCD screen turned off).  Turn the LCD screen on, though, and
alkalines are drained in a flash.  NiMH really is the only way to go, and it
sounds like you've bought the highest-capacity ones that can be generally
acquired.  Now if you want the best available charger for them, get the MAHA
MH-C204F battery charger from Thomas Distributing.  Their URL is:

   http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha-mh-c204f.htm

They've got some good specials which you can find off of their main page, too.

>...I can't believe how quickly the batteries are drained...I know I will never
>reach the comfort zone that I have with my OM1 or any other single digit OM
>with digital...

Depends.  You may become hooked on the "instant-image" capabilities of digital.
 In some spheres, I certainly have -- in others, I still prefer my OM-series
cameras.  In other words, digital's got its place, and I think it's a good one,
too.  Your Mileage May Vary.  ;-)

Garth