Re: [OM] [OT] Another status on the helicopter pilot

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Another status on the helicopter pilot
From: Mike Butler <butlerfamly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 08:14:12 -0700
Chuck,
 That is good news, I am sure it will all work out.

Chuck queried:

Has anyone ever made a metal rear lens cap that's machined like a body's
mounting flange?
<snip>

I thought about trying that when I made my telescope adapter, but
quickly realized they are already out there for just a few dollars, in
the form of cheap tele-convertors.  The $5 or $10 you might pay is far
less than the cost to duplicate them.  I think I used 0-80 Phillips head
screws instead of the metric ones that are original, but I already had
the screws and the tap.  The flange is held on by three or four screws
for your convenience, all you need is a place to mount it.

<snip>
Tech question.  This seems like such a simple solution to low cost
scanning that there must be a fly in the ointment.  If it can't focus on
an airial image, why not?
<snip>

I don't know if a scanner can focus on an airial image but I find the
depth of field to be at least 1/2" on most of the inexpensive scanners
we have around here.  I have on many occasions just layed a connector or
small sample on the glass and scanned away.  I don't remember enough of
my physics classes to know if that will help or hurt.  The simple fact?
that "nobody" is using it to do high res studio work may mean there are
inherent problems.

Good Luck,

Mike Butler
Dublin, California