RE: [OM] Further thoughts on technology

Subject: RE: [OM] Further thoughts on technology
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:28:07 -0600
> I think "perfect auto exposure" could happen with digital (on tripods)
now.
> Instead of manual bracketing, just expose a series of frames with
> increasing exposure time which capture all the info there is.
> The only limits would be internal reflections which obscure shadow
> detail. Then combine in photoshop

 I've wondered about this sort of thing myself -- I reckon if you had enough
CPU in the camera you could expose different bits of it for different times
by being clever enough with reading from the CCD. You could get the same
effect as the human eye, where it automatically exposes properly for
whatever you're looking at, so the whole scene looks 'correct'. (not sure
what this would be like in an image, though -- the ultimate dodge/burn, I
guess..)

  The neat thing _I_ want to see from a digital camera is one that gets
around the remaining lack of flexibility in normal cameras -- you can change
the f.stop, you can change the shutter speed -- but you can't change the ISO
of the film on the fly, and even then, you can only change it in steps.

 I want a digicam that'll say "1/250th at f4? Certainly, sir, that's ISO
278", and magically make everything work out.

 -- dan