RE: [OM] Coming back to his senses on Technology

Subject: RE: [OM] Coming back to his senses on Technology
From: "Robert Gries" <rgg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 12:49:21 -0500
That is exactly it!  THAT is why I have bought an older system - because
of solid engineering, not features....

Very well written response, Schnozz.  I also use the OM-1 and 35 shift
that were initial purchases in the building of my system.  They would be
very hard to replace.  I went looking for another system recently, but
just couldn't find anything that would work.  For me (and most
architectural photographers) it is mostly 4x5, but the 35mm stuff is
just too cheap not to use!  I have built a nice business on beating out
most other photographers by offering what the architects really need -
35mm slides for competition entries, and the occasional 8x10 glossy for
a bound portfolio.  Nothing beats a 4x5, but in terms of cost, a good
35mm system is invaluable.  There are many more places I can get to
easily with 35mm than with any 4x5.

<snip>

Technology!  Good or bad?  It's a good thing, but we must be careful
that we are not bent on features.  Three cup-holders for the driver and
fading map-lights don't make for a better car. Solid engineering and
manufacturing do.

AG-Schnozz