[OM] 28 vs 35

Subject: [OM] 28 vs 35
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 16:07:48 -0500
"In a steel cage death match, which one would you choose as the obvious
winner?

Any experience with these lenses?  Also, what other lenses would you use
to compliment it?  I am thinking of the "minimal" kit of an OM-1n, 85/2,
and ???"

Bob,

Sorry, I've got most all of them, so I'll tell you what works for me. If the
light is sufficient, I use the 28-48. I was more than surprised at its
quality, and it's relatively small and light. Otherwise, I use, like Tom,
the 28 many times over the 35. My 28, at least, is one of my sharpest
lenses. That's not to say that the 35 isn't sharp, it just may be less
contrasty, as I haven't done a controlled test, but the 28 has a "look" that
the 35 doesn't. I do like the spacing between the 50-28-21 combo. I would
normally take the 85-35 or 50-28-21 as a four lens kit, and the 85-35-21
when I only want to carry 3. I see the 28 and 35 as equal in the
"controllable distortion" department, but some don't.

Over the last ten years, I've been going wider and wider, after starting
with only a 50 and a 135 when I got my first camera, a Pentax spotmatic.
Now, however, I think I may be moving back a bit, where I use the 28 where I
would have used the 21. Stay tuned.

And on tripods, the biggest bargain, and perfect for the OM (and the
Hasselblad, too) is a used Tiltall.

Bill Pearce