Re: [OM] 28/2 or 35/2?

Subject: Re: [OM] 28/2 or 35/2?
From: Bill Stanke <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:56:41 -0700
Bob,

Kiron's tend to have a very high level of build quality.  The 28 f/2 is
a fairly large heavy lens, compared to a 28 f/2.8 Zuiko (I don't have a
Zuiko 28 f/2 to compare it to).  Metal construction, beautifully
finished.  The focusing action on mine was initially stiff, but I think
this is because it sat on a shelf at Adorama for years.  I also have a
Kiron 1.4X teleconvertor, which also has excellent build quality.  My
Kiron 28~70 f/4 macro zoom is also a good performer, but it sounded like
f/4 was too slow for your needs.

Kiron used to make some (but not all) of the Vivitar Series 1 lenses.
Most of the Series 1 lenses were wonderful performers (at least in their
day), but commercial failures.  Alas, Kiron no longer markets lens in
their own name, but have gone back to being an anonymous contract
manufacturer.

I've never been able to find out much about Kiron lenses, other than at:

http://people.smu.edu/rmonagha/third/cult.html

BTW, I remember that Konica made a 21/35 mm lens (not a zoom, just those
two focal lengths) for the Leica M mount.  See:

http://cameraquest.com/LeicaM%20K21%20TE.htm

For an interesting write-up on this lens.

Bill Stanke