Re: [OM] 85/2 subject matter

Subject: Re: [OM] 85/2 subject matter
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 23:33:23 +0200 (CEST)
Bill, Schnozz....

I have an 85/2.8 and two 100/2.8 (one of them would please Schnozz, I
think...) I most often reach for the 85/2 rather than a 100/2.8 for no
really rational reason. It seems to me, that it is a little sharper, a
little more contrasty and has a little nicer bokkeh than the 100/2.8,
however I think that there is no really big reason to choose one over the
other, but someone else may be able to qualify this with hard facts (or
to tell me that I am completely wrong *gg*).

However the main reason for me to prefer the 85/2 is, that I like the
slightly wider aspect of the lens. I got the 85/2 way before the 100mm's,
so I have probably just gotten used to it - the focal length, the way it
handles etc.

In any case, I never carry an 100/2.8 and a 85/2 at the same time. They
live in different kits, and are all very nice lenses. If you have an
100/2.8, then there probably is no reason other than zuikoholicism to want
an 85/2 (and the other way around).

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Bill Stanke wrote:

> Schnozz,
>
> I dunno, but I'm glad you asked the question, because I've wondered the
> same thing.  My observation is that the 100 f/2.8 can be purchased for
> less $$ than the 85, for comparable quality.
>
> Perhaps someone like Tom Scales could tell us why we NEED both lenses...
>
> Bill Stanke
>
> AG Schnozz wrote:
> >
> > Inquiring minds want to know...
> >
> > Is the 85/2 substantially different from my 100/2.8?  Should I
> > just keep my nose in my own camera bag and leave it to the
> > "ain't missed what I never had" category?
> >
> > I love the Bokeh (I know, it only exists in our minds) and
> > sharpness of the 100/2.8 and am thinking, based on my limited
> > exposure to the 85/2, that it is just a slightly wider version
> > of what I already own.
> >
> > Would my 100/2.8 be threatened by the presence of the 85/2?
> > Would it require that the lens go on Pros*c because of the
> > depression of being replaced?
> >
> > Why was the 85/2 twice as expensive as the 100/2.8 back in 1978?
> >
> > Will it automatically clean up the table after dinner?
> >
> > AG-Digging a pit-Schnozz

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering