Re: [OM] 85/2 subject matter

Subject: Re: [OM] 85/2 subject matter
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 17:35:51 -0500
At 16:00 7/30/02, Ag Schnozz wrote:
Inquiring minds want to know...

Is the 85/2 substantially different from my 100/2.8?  Should I
just keep my nose in my own camera bag and leave it to the
"ain't missed what I never had" category?

Yes. 15mm shorter focal length and admits twice as much light. More seriously it produces a perspective with depth that is only subtly flattened compared to 100mm. Its speed makes it much easier to use in low light. Lighter and smaller than the 100/2 it makes the rig more agile. Used the 50mm, 35-105mm at the long end, 85mm and 135mm when shooting the performers at the monthly blues jams. Settled on the 85mm as the favorite. The 135mm could get in very tight but proved to be harder to hand hold at lower shutter speeds. It's difficult enough with a very shallow depth of field (about six inches maximum) running lenses at f/2 and f/2.8 without adding camera shake to the mix.

Would my 100/2.8 be threatened by the presence of the 85/2?
Would it require that the lens go on Pros*c because of the
depression of being replaced?

Undoubtedly. Your 100/2.8 would suffer great insecurity next to a lens that's twice as bright. OTOH, it could produce the fodder for another saga similar to the legendary tales about Toky and Vert! Would be much more interesting than Ozzie's family.

Will it automatically clean up the table after dinner?

No, but you can threaten the 100/2.8 with complete abandonment if it doesn't start pitching in.

-- John