Re: [OM] RE: OM to EOS adapter (was "Heads up 350/2.8 on ebay!")

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: OM to EOS adapter (was "Heads up 350/2.8 on ebay!")
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 15:37:43 -0700
on 7/30/02 1:48 PM, jowilcox at jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> My understanding is that the OM to EOS adapter is sold in Japan (exclusively?)
> for around $100+.  The auto feature of the lens I believe does not work with
> the adapter.  So it would work as though every lens were attached to a very
> thin manual tube.
>
> Joel W.

I think EOS lenses use an electrical connection for the aperture, so there
is no way to actuate a Zuiko aperture. So the Zuiko (350/2.8) is being used
as a manual-focus, stop-down metering, manual-aperture lens. In the case of
this EOS user, I would guess the main reason for using it is the f2.8
aperture, so he wouldn't stop down the lens probably anyway... Then with the
EOS metering on aperture priority exposure could be automatic, leaving him
only to focus manually. Given that Canon makes a 300/2.8 and a 400/2.8 lens
in EOS mount, its probably the cost of *those* that had him using the
Zuiko...
--

Jim Brokaw