[OM] Sources for pliobond cement and dielectric grease

Subject: [OM] Sources for pliobond cement and dielectric grease
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 23:57:42 -0400
At 1:27 PM +0000 7/23/02, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 15:42:43 +1200
>From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Substitute for Pliobond - and dielectric grease
>
>Hi folks,
>
>On my current shopping list is Pliobond, a rubbery adhesive that is widely
>recommended for several purposes in camera repair and maintenance. Two
>uses; sticking down the cover of the film-advance lever in OM10's such that it
>can be removed again (using solvents) without physical damage to the cover;
>and attaching leathers to the body.
>
>I can't find it anywhere locally; in fact most (all?) I have asked never heard
>of
>it. I have located the manufacturer in Akron Ohio and e-mailed them for agent
>details.

In the US, Pliobond is typically sold in hardware stores.

>There are several other contact rubber adhesives available locally; Ados F2,
>and a Selleys Contact cement.

I bet there are local equivalents to Pliobond.  The patent, if there was one,
has long since expired.  Pliobond is one of many solvent-based rubber contact
cements.

>What others, if any, do you recommend for such uses with cameras?

In the US, a glue called "Shoe Goo".

What do cobblers in New Zealand use to glue leather shoes together?  It will be
some kind of rubber contact cement, probably not like Shoe Goo.

>Interestingly, another material (with camera uses) which has been in
>widespread  use in North America for about 20 years, has not found its way
>to this part of the southern Hemisphere; that is "dielectric grease". Most
>people one would think had a use for it have never heard of it; and those who
>have and who can get hold of it, hang onto it like grim death.

The original dielectric grease is a silicon grease (#622) made by General
Electric in the US.  <www.gesilicones.com>  (There is a GE in the UK that isn't
the same company.  I think their abbreviation is GEC, rather than GE.)  Grease
TSK550 may be the modern equivalent to GL622.

Other companies, like Dow Corning and some Japanese companies, probably make
equivalent greases.

Joe Gwinn