Re: [OM] 85/2 subject matter

Subject: Re: [OM] 85/2 subject matter
From: Jim Couch <jamesbcouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 22:12:52 -0700
I will step in as the one dissenting opinion.

No doubt that the 85 f/2 is a nice lens. I owned one and liked it,
compact, light, fast, and takes 49 mm filters but... I rarely shot it
wide open at f/2, and I REALLY like the tad extra reach with the 100
f2/8 which also takes 49 mm filters, so for me it was sell the expensive
85 and keep the 100. It has become a part of my favorite 2 lens
'snapshot' kit - 40 f/2 and the 100 f/2.8. Maybe it is me, but I seem to
really like the 'lowly' 100, and the even 'lowlier' 135.

Ultimately it is up to you. Now a smart man would bury his head firmly
in the camera bag, however, as a Zuikaholic you have already established
your lack of good judgment.

I believe the cost difference was largely due to the close focusing
correction on the 85. Oh, and contrary to what everyone here may tell
you, the 85 DOES NOT clean up the table after dinner!

Jim Couch