Re: [OM] zuiko 135mm 2.8 or 3.5?

Subject: Re: [OM] zuiko 135mm 2.8 or 3.5?
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:35:26 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, David Thatcher wrote:

> I want to replace my very average 'Zelar' 135/2.8 prime.
>
> I can get a 135/3.5 zuiko for around AUD100 locally or a 135/2.8 for
> around the AUD250 mark.
>
> I suppose my question is: is the f2.8 more than double the lens of the
> f3.5, from a user perspective?   It will some use as a portrait lens
> mainly...

I'd say yes. The 2.8 is more contrasty than the 3.5 and seems, in general,
sharper. I have both, but rarely use the 3.5 much.

For portraits, though, you might like the slightly softer aspect of the
3.5.

> would the 100 or the 85 be lots better (I did see the discussion on the
> 85/2!), though these are LOTS more expensive (AUD400 for the 100/3.5)

Hmm...this is s tuff one. The 85/2 or the 135/2.8. Both are good
lenses. Between the 85 and the 100, the difference in focal length is "not
much". Between the 85 and 135 this actually significant - the perspective
is different etc.  So even if the optical qualities of the 135 and the 85
were equal, you'd have to figure out what you prefer.

You cannot go wrong with the 135/2.8 or the 85/2. They are both nice
lenses. Personally, I would probably go with the 85/2. It can double as a
slightly long normal lens due to the lower weight and more compact size
than the 135, and due to the fact that it doesn't give "tele images" as
much.

However since you are looking to replace an existing 135mm in your kit,
and since you describe that lens as "average", I think I would suggest
that you get the 135/2.8. I am afraid that the 3.5 might end up with you
labelling it "average" as well.

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering