Re: [OM] 90/2 was: 85/2 subject matter

Subject: Re: [OM] 90/2 was: 85/2 subject matter
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 09:44:25 +0800
If anyone is here long enough may remember I was an anti-90/2 guy, two
to three years ago I mentioned the 90/2 was not as sharp as the 100/2
from portrait to distance objects (at wide apertures) and not as good
as the 50/3.5 for macro. I have combined my experience and the test
result from Modern photography. Unfortunately that was limited to some
test shots I made since I rare took the 90/2 to the field at that time
(since the lens was too new in condition to use).

But there was one thing I had missed, it is the color rendering and
saturation, which is properly the best among all Zuiko tele I have. I
once sold this lens to my friend and he told me his feel about the
qualities of this lens, later due to some reasons he sold it back to
me and I started notice about the other quality of this lens besides
just resolution. It has more 3-D look than the other Zuikos and the
color saturation is very high. The contrast of this lens is also high
when stopped down, usually such lens (like the 50/2) is not so
suitable for portrait with negative but this lens is quite unusual, it
performs very fine in this area. Three of my friends here has the 90/2
and all like it very much.

I have both 135/4.5 and 90/2, I will only use the 135/4.5 with tele
tube for macro, although I have tried to use it for portrait too.
There is no question on the quality, it is very good for macro and
distance objects, but the weight combination with tele tube does not
make it better than a 90/2. Also the focusing of 90/2 is definitely
better with the large F2 aperture.

C.H.Ling

<snip>