Re: [OM] Ranking of cheap wide angle lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Ranking of cheap wide angle lenses
From: plp@xxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 14:40:54 GMT
>>it seems that the 28/3.5 depended on whether you got a good
>>lens or a bad lens.  Gary's first test of it showed terrible
>>results, but his subsequent test showed it to be better than
>>his test of the 28/2.8. Variability!
>
>Read read why I tested two 28mm f/3.5 lenses. The second test
>was an attempt to see what a filter ring ding would cause in
>terms of lens performance.  I think you mixed up the two 28mm
>f/3.5 tests.

Actually, what I did was first read your lens tests, and then
search through the archives for references to "28mm f3.5" and
similar text. It seemed to me that you first tested a 28/3.5
and it stunk. This was reflected in the tests at that time.
Then you found a better one and replaced the old test results
with the new one. It was difficult to try to determine the
history from the archives and I guess I assumed incorrectly.

>At a magnification ratio of about 1:12, one can readily detect
>curvature of field effects, even at optimum aperture. The
>corner contrast is too low to read anything written lightly in
>pencil. This is apparently the threshold for a wide angle to be
>able to get away with no close focus aberration correction
>mechanism (which is why the 35mm f/2 doesn't offer it, either).

Interesting. Between yours and C.H.'s recent posts, this is
beginning to make sense now.

Pete