Re: [OM] Compare and critique please (Semi long Idiot Rant)

Subject: Re: [OM] Compare and critique please (Semi long Idiot Rant)
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 09:09:05 -0700
In a message dated 7/31/2002 John Lind offers the following sage advice:

<< Amazing.  I might sell a 5x7 for $10 - $12, but not an 8x10 print.  That
would sell for about $20 - $25. >>

Guilty as charged, almost ;-) I sell 8x10 "digital-to-photographic" prints
(prints from internet labs) for $12.00, but my custom enlargements are
indeed up in that $20-25 range. Given that all I have to do is upload a file
to an internet lab and they ship direct to the customer (no trips to the
lab, no trip to the post office--that's 3 "errands" that all incur a cost)
my margins on the low cost prints are actually better (and it is a good
margin). That said, the real money is in image usage right sales. You're
right, though, this guy with the monster equipment in gear is going to take
a very long time to get any ROI.

I'm still thinking about raising my print prices, though, soon. It takes a
fair bit of time to prep and upload files, and order prints from internet
labs.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com