Re: [OM] Multi-coating (contrast)

Subject: Re: [OM] Multi-coating (contrast)
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 15:08:40 -0700
Speaking of light bouncing around in the lens. Take a look at the back
of a lens when it is stopped down to f/16. Doesn't it seem that the
aperture blades reflect quite a bit of light? At least compared to the
flat black metal of the lens. Also, consider that the film is 18%
reflecting, wouldn't this cause similar, if not more, loss of contrast
than the single versus multi coating? I have noted that in Gary's lens
tests that sometimes the contrast is down a bit at wide open and at
f/16 and f/22. Is the lower contrast at high f stops caused by
diffraction or the reflecting aperture blades and film/first curtain?

Wayne

Very interesting. You are right that aperture blades, even though darkened, are still shiny. That could be significant. And any exposure faster than 1/60 second will have the pattern on the first curtain reflecting light onto the rear lens elements. I wonder whether the light level in the mirror box is so low compared to the outside that maybe it is not significant after absorbtion by the matte black surfaces. Light hitting the rear lens element which is multi-coated and curved would have reflection thrown to the side of the mirror box, I think. Since the field of a lens is circular, not rectangular, even the large one on a shift lens is apparently well absorbed by the walls of the mirror box.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA