[OM] MC lenses & MC Filters

Subject: [OM] MC lenses & MC Filters
From: Damon Wood <deewhy_au@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 11:20:52 +1000 (EST)
To the list;
  Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think your eyeglass experience is the key, except that your are
comparing completely uncoated glasses with coated ones. There are
small but significant differences in the amount of light reflected
when comparing single and multi-coating. Unless you get a 20 element
zoom lens the difference in light transmitted is not so important.
What is important is what happens to the light that is reflected. It
tends to bounce around inside the lens lowering contrast. The more
light reflected by the coating and the more elements the worse it is,
everything else being equal. Putting on a filter adds another pair
of surfaces to the mix. When you look at the lens elements that are
already there the filter even single coated probably does not add
much to the total scattering of light - unless you have a strong
light source in the frame. Then I think you would definitely want a
multi-coated filter.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

Whilst we are on MC lenses and filters, who actually uses multi coated filters
with their MC lenses? Although HOYA recommends it, it obviously makes sense to
do so. Is there enough significance that MC lenses should have them (eg.,
specific 'bright' lighting conditions ~ reflection and refraction between
elements, lens barrel and actual filter).

PS: Ive been thinking about getting some for my 2 x 50 lenses, 28 and 135.
Thought that would be an interesting discussion point.

Chow all and hope you and your OM's are all well!

Damo