Re: [OM] New OM-1 user.

Subject: Re: [OM] New OM-1 user.
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 12:57:11 -0500
At 08:30 8/3/02, Joel Wilcox wrote:
At 08:15 AM 8/3/2002 +0100, Lewis wrote:

Secondly despite searching various lists i am still unsure of the battery situation on the OM series using the mercury battery. I bought some zinc-air replacements (as per a list message i found) and upon testing the meter readings it seems fine - however further reading leads me to believe that over time these readings with be incorrect due to the continual loss of voltage on the battery. I have now read that there is a converter available (MR-9?) allowing the use of an alkaline battery - is this the better option?

I've got two MR-9s and they are apparently different, and the manufacturer has apparently designed them to go with different batteries through the years. My first one I believe was supposed to go with a SR44/357. The latest version is designed for the SR43/301. What's the difference? The battery is rated at the same voltage, but drop off characteristics differ. How important is it? Don't really know, but the reason I bought it is to get the best possible replacement for a normal Hg battery, whose drop off characteristics are what make it ideal for the OM-1, so I'm taking it seriously.

[snip]

Whatever you decide to use, I'd recommend setting up with it in conjunction with a professional servicing of the camera. Even though the MR-9 is supposed to drop in as a replacement for the Hg battery, I have some doubts. As long as you are getting some service, you could also see if your technician offers a conversion that allows you to use a simple SR44/357 cell without requiring the MR-9 at all.

I have two MR-9 adapters in two different cameras (OM-1n and Rollei 35S). The instruction sheet that came with them stated MS-76, a variant of the SR44, but they work just fine with #357 silver cells and after shooting many rolls of chromes through them I'm satisfied the metering is sufficiently accurate.

The web site for the manufacturer ( http://www.criscam.com/ ) now states it uses the #386 silver cells which are the same diameter but a bit shorter than the #357 cells.

IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT SILVER CELLS THAT HAPPEN TO BE THE SAME SIZE:
There is a difference between the specifications for a #301 and a #386, and between an EPX76 (aka MS76) and a #357:

       mAh  Volt  ANSI #  Wt(g)  Dia(mm)  Ht(mm)
#301:  110  1.55  1132SO  1.7     11.6     4.2
#386:  120  1.55  1133SO  1.7     11.6     4.2
#357:  175  1.55  1131SO  2.3     11.6     5.4
EPX76: 200  1.55  1107SOP 2.27    11.6     5.4

The data sheets also show differences in application and in voltage falloff over their lifespans.

#301:
Intended for continuous low drain. Data sheet test for voltage falloff is at 0.103 mA. Voltage drops from 1.5 to 1.3 Volts during last 50f life.

#386:
Intended for continuous low drain with high pulse drain on demand. Data sheet test for voltage falloff is at 0.238 mA. Voltage drops from 1.5 to 1.3 Volts during last 50f life.

EPX76:
Intended for photo use. Data sheet test for for voltage falloff is at 0.215 mA. Voltage falls from 1.5 V to about 0.9 V during last 600f life.

#357:
Intended for continuous low drain with high pulse drain on demand. Data sheet test for voltage falloff is at 0.238 mA. Voltage drops from 1.5 to 1.3 Volts during last 100f life.

My conclusions:
(a) For the older MR-9's for which C.R.I.S. stated they used the larger MS76 cells, it is *much* better to use #357 cells in them instead due to the voltage falloff curves! (b) For the newer MR-9's that C.R.I.S. states should use the #386 cells, these are a better choice than using #301 cells. The #386 cells will last a bit longer and tolerate higher drain.

-- John
P.S.
Welcome to the list.