[OM] My OM1n died in Thailand..

Subject: [OM] My OM1n died in Thailand..
From: "Olympus List" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 20:34:25 -0700
I just got back from my month long trip to Asia. I went to Thailand, HK, and Taiwan. The trip totalled 31 days. 8 days in Thailand, 3 in HK, and the rest in Taiwan. The first day I got to Thailand, when I went to one of the temples, and I pulled out my OM, the lenses fogged and my camera was all but dripping wet. The meter was ok, but soon started to short a little bit, and about 20 minutes into viewing the temple, the meter had died. So I went throughout my trip to Thailand and HK without using my OM :-( I did take a few daylight shots (sunny 16 right??) But maybe a total of 1 roll. I had my little Konica point and shoot as backup, and so at least I didn't go through thailand without taking any pictures.. When I got to taiwan, I went to a camera store to get my camera fixed. They called me 3 days later and said it was fixed. I went to pick up my camera and the meter still didn't work. I thought, hmm... maybe it was the battery.. So I bought a "new" battery. The meter still didn't work. I told the lady, the meter still didn't work. She didn't believe me. I thought, why should I lie about something like this? So she started to shake my camera violently, and said "if you shake it really hard, the needle will move... so it "works"" I was upset at that point in time. It didn't work, and I would have said, have the guy take a look at it again, but the fact that she almost broke off my knobs, and tried to lie to me, I told her, I'm taking my camera and leaving. She said work was done on it, and I still had to pay for the repairs regardless if it worked or not. Rediculous!! She said they also replaced the foam, and I had to at least pay for that. I said fine. So I paid her $9US, the portion she said was the cost of foam replacement and I stormed out of there mad. Later that day, I thought, if she was that crooked about camera repairs, then maybe she's crooked about camera batteries also, because when I bought the battery to try it out, she took it out of the package as if it were new, but I could have sworn I saw a piece of tape on the back... And so I stopped at another store, and bought another battery. I popped it in, and tada! The meter worked!! So she wasn't lying the workmanship of the meter being fixed, she sold me a dead battery!!
I wasn't going to go back and tell her that... Not with that attitude..
Anyway, at least I had my OM in working condition for the rest of my trip in taiwan. 31 days in Asia, total count: 26 rolls of 36's.. Fuji Superia 400, and Fuji Reala 100 were the primary films I used. I had a few rolls of Fuji Acros B&W 100 also. So I will try to post them when I get them developed (gotta save up money for development, right now, sitting in the frig). I think I might be buying an autofocus camera this week. No, I'm not selling my OM, just complimenting it... A Minolta Maxxum 5, with a 24-105mm lens. That's it. Something my gf can learn to use... There are a few museum and national monument shots that I took with the Acros, that I'm dying to see... It should me amazing... So, while I was away, missed all of you and your discussions. Albert