[OM] "I can't believe I did that!"

Subject: [OM] "I can't believe I did that!"
From: "CyberSimian" <CyberSimian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 13:06:14 -0000
Here is my entry in the "I can't believe I did that!" cOMpetition:

As we have at last had some decent weather in the UK, I decided to take out
a newly-acquired pre-loved OM body for a test roll of film.  When I got back
home, I started to rewind the film, and thought "Mmm, this is stiff".  I
continued winding, and thought "Mmm, this IS stiff".  Wound some more and
thought "My g*d this is stiff".  I continued winding until suddenly the
rewind
knob came loose from the rewind crank.  Now I started to panic.  I used the
film advance lever to wind on the film -- that worked and confirmed that the
film was still attached to the spools at both ends.  At this point I was
completely nonplussed (my dictionary defines that as "reduced to hopeless
perplexity"), so I opened the back and removed the film, which was indeed
still engaged at both ends.  Since I don't have a darkroom, the contents of
the film were lost.  It was only after I had done this that I twigged what I
had done.

If you have ever removed the rewind knob on an OM body (I had done this on
a previous body), you will know that the knob is screwed on to the rewind
crank in such a way that rewinding a film tends to screw the rewind knob
more tightly onto the crank.  The fact that it had become unscrewed meant
that (gasp!) I was rewinding the film the wrong way (that is, anticlockwise
when viewed from the top of the camera).  No wonder it was stiff!  I
refitted the rewind knob (easy if you use the right tools/procedure), and it
seems none the worse for its ordeal.

But I still cannot believe that I made such an elementary mistake.  Doh!

-- from Cy in the UK