[OM] on filters, cleaning

Subject: [OM] on filters, cleaning
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 08:59:15 -0500
First, on cleaning. I use the microfiber cloths. My favorite is one from 3M,
that has a waffle texture, something like a european bath towel. I
occasionally wash them with laundry, with no facric softener, as was
recommended on one package. I have never scratched a lens with one, as I use
a brush to remove chunks first.

When I need a cleaner, I use ROR (for residual oil remover). Probably no
more than some solvent, but a lifetime supply was only about six bucks, and
it does seem to work.

The BD (not B&D, thats something entirely different) alcohol swabs are
essentially identical to the lens cleaning swabs that are common in
industrial situations, where they are used to clean safety glasses. I
haven't used these on my lenses, but I have used them on AR coated
eyeglasses without ill effect. There are also some that use another type of
non ammonia glass cleaner that is an ether based liquid. Again, not tested
on lenses, but good for glasses.

Filters...  I don't normally use a filter for protection, unless I really
feel one is necessary. A lens hood can also serve as good protection against
bumps. I will use a filter in situations that warrant the use, such as high
wind/dust, water, stuff in industrial areas like welding and grinding, and
often in street photography on crowded streets. Otherwise, I only use
filters when really needed, like yellow and red for B&W, and warming or
polarizing for color.

Clear protection filters? These belong at a support group meeting for OCD.

Bill Pearce