[OM] cleaning Polaroid rollers; using microfiber cloths

Subject: [OM] cleaning Polaroid rollers; using microfiber cloths
From: "William Sommerwerck" <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 08:29:03 -0700
"I have a Polaroid pack-film back with gunk on the rollers. What is the best
solvent to clean this back without destroying it?"

The best solvent for cleaning the gunk off Polaroid rollers is spit. Plain
old regular spit -- not the Seth Brundle kind. Ordinary tap water works
almost as well.

Use a soft cloth. Don't scrape with any object, including your fingernails.

If the gunk has gotten to the end of the rollers and corroded the metal, you
might need to replace the roller assembly. But this rarely occurs.

I agree that you should never clean any optical surface until you've brushed
off the dust and dirt. Even so, you shouldn't use a microfiber cloth "dry."
Breathe on the lens first to deposit a water film.