Re: [OM] Winder 1 and 'B' exposure

Subject: Re: [OM] Winder 1 and 'B' exposure
From: Pschings@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 14:27:00 -0400
Cc: cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
In a message dated Mon, 5 Aug 2002 20:04:10 +0200, cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I'd like to have motorized film winding on a sequence of *long* (about 5
> minutes) exposures, for astrophotographical purposes (Perseids meteor
> shower). I tried this in an OM-1 with my Winder 1, but it won't work -- I
> get a short (1/30?) exposure in B, no matter how long I keep depressed the
> winder's shutter release.
>
> Would Winder 2 or Motor Drive 1/2 behave the way I want?

No, I think they work the same way. I think the only solution to this is to use
the winder button to advance the film, but still use the camera shutter release
with a locking cable release. For exposures in the 5 minute range I'd use the
"hat trick" as well (focus/compose, cover lens with hat, open shutter, remove
hat, time the exposure, replace hat, close shutter). Of course you could
substitute other things (black card) for the "hat".

> Now I have to do a minor fix to my Winder 1 :-( so I haven't tried with my
> other OM bodies (1n, 2, 2n and 4). Maybe any of these would solve the
> problem? I've heard the OM-4 will do Bulb exposures with a Winder/MD *only*
> if good batteries are installed, but they might get dead along a cold night
> -- the Winder can be powered from batteries in my pocket,
> though.

No, I think all OM's give approx 1/500 sec exposure when used on "B" with a
winder or motor.

Paul Schings