RE: [OM] My OM1n died in Thailand..

Subject: RE: [OM] My OM1n died in Thailand..
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 23:15:13 -0500
Marc,

You might be right. Keeping them "warm" will reduce this effect if the outside air is cold and damp. But alittle moisture condensing on the outside shouldn't wreck a good camera unless it is allowed to stay that way (or it seeps inside) and steps are not taken to dry it in between exposure to the elements.

If it is wiped with a dry cloth and there is sufficient dehumidifiying agent in an airtight sealed container - be it ziplock bag or hard case - the inside will be so dry that remaining moisture on the exterior of a camera won't stay there long. I use dehumidifying silica gel cannisters with a capacity to dry 3 cubic feet of air in my small Pelican cases (model 1300s) and there are some not much larger that will dry an enormous volume of air. I also use these in some large heavy ziplocks and plastic "tupperware" type containers for storage of extra cameras and lenses etc. Even in the most humid air I have opened my case and bits of foam etc will cling to everything inside. That's *dry*!

Of course the inside of the camera and lens may not be that dry. But I would imagine that they are pretty close. And placing a camera in a large sealed ziplock - camera back open slightly - or lens off (if there is film loaded - with silca gel cannister will certainly dry out much of the inside. A lens can be likewise be placed in a sealed ziplock with a silica gel cannister and the focus and/or zoom operated to draw in dry air - expel inside air, and replace with drier air while inside the sealed bag. This done every so often will remove most moist air from inside a lens. Of course if in a warmer air temperature to speed evaporation it would be more effective. Wearing it in a large inner garment pocket or softpack/bag would provide a little warmth and assist evaporation.

When cased like this and shooting in a very humid environment, as long as the camera is wiped dry, returned to the case, and the dehumidifying agent has sufficient capacity the gear would be pretty well protected. I have had all kinds of gear cased or protected like this in addition to camera equipment.

The smallest Pelican cases will hold a modest but sufficient travel kit. The 1300 cases I have will hold a body, and three lenses - or two if one is a mid-size zoom .... Or leave out the factory foam; use pad/partitions and I am sure a couple of medium size zooms would fit in addition to a standard or wide angle lens. And these cases offer a level of protection you are not going to find in an unsealed soft case; condensing fog, heavy rain - and water immersion. These cases can be had for $35.75 each from www.cases4less.com right now. I have no connection to the site or Pelican - they are just the best cases around for the money IMO.

http://www.all-pelican-cases-4-less.com/detail_pelican_1300.html

Cheers
Lee