Re: [OM] Using/not using filters/Cleaning lenses)

Subject: Re: [OM] Using/not using filters/Cleaning lenses)
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 11:04:23 -0700
Filters only when the light needs filtering.

For lens cleaning, a good quality 1-inch camel's hair paintbrush with the
handle cut off, stored in a zip-lok bag and washed frequently.  For the
occasional smudge or inadvertent fingerprint, I carry a small screw-top
bottle of Windex and about 8 feet of Charmin in the bag with the brush.

This high-tech stuff works like a charm.  My lenses are perfect, and some
I've had 30+ years.

As a bonus, in an emergency, the Charmin can do double duty, although I
wouldn't recommend using it for lens cleaning afterwards.

Walt

I realize that the coatings and lenses are different for eyeglasses,
but ammonia is supposed to strip non-reflective coats right off.
Windex has ammonia.  Do your outside surfaces still have their
coatings?
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California