Re: [OM] Using/not using filters/Cleaning lenses)

Subject: Re: [OM] Using/not using filters/Cleaning lenses)
From: Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 14:31:09 -0400
>I realize that the coatings and lenses are different for eyeglasses,
>but ammonia is supposed to strip non-reflective coats right off.
>Windex has ammonia.  Do your outside surfaces still have their
>coatings?
>--
>Winsor Crosby<

I stand by my claim that the lenses are perfect.  Between my 35mm and
medium format gear, I've got nearly 40 lenses.  None has lost any coating
-- at least not that I can tell.  I doubt the typical lens gets cleaned
with a sheet of Charmin and a drop of Windex more than once every year or
two, a brushing usually being sufficient, or if not, a bit of breath fog
and a gentle wipe of wadded up Charmin.

Actually, I think there's really very little ammonia in Windex anyway, and
considering how infrequently I use it, I'm sure it does no harm.  But, oh,
it does clean, unlike some lens cleaning fluids (Kodak, for instance) I've
used that smeared more than they cleaned.  I think the fact that just a
quick swipe and wipe is all that's necessary to remove any smudges or
fingerprints reduces the chances of lens damage compared to the elbow
grease some weaker cleaning solutions might require.

I hope I'm not wrong.  So far, so good.

Walt