Re: [OM] confusion about 50/2

Subject: Re: [OM] confusion about 50/2
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 14:54:53 -0500 (CDT)

> The 50/2 wide open is noticeably softer at infinity
> mainly because at f5.6-f11 this lens is bleeding edge
> sharp whereas at f2 it just isn't as sharp (it is
> still pretty sharp wide open just that at f8 this lens
> is by far the sharpest lens I have bar none). And, at
> 1:2 and greater magnification I think f2 is sharper
> than f16, the lens performs very well in it's macro
> role across the board and even at 8x10 I can't really
> tell a difference between f-stops except f16 which
> doesn't perform so well.

As you go into this magnification range the smaller stops
begin to be degraded by diffraction. If you use the
Airy disk (in microns) = f# rule-of-thumb, at 1:2 the
f/16 becomes an effective f/22 and the Airy disk is
about 1/50mm, which kinda impairs your ability to get
the 60 or more lp/mm you want for really sharp photos.