RE: [OM] ( OM ) sundry things - straps

Subject: RE: [OM] ( OM ) sundry things - straps
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 02:51:06 -0500
Marc,

I would go to a camera/photo shop and check them out firsthand. I would imagine in Australia there are similar "chain" stores that have good selections of various commercially made straps. I have not seen any commercially made soft webbing straps though. That is probably a DIY prospect to consider if you have the time and will; though it will probably end up costing you more than a decent shop-bought strap. I have had special pouches and the like made with soft webbing - and made straps myself, as well as my own climbing gear in times past ....

Any well-stocked rock climbing shop will have soft webbing for "belay runners" and "slings" etc available "off the roll". It can normally be found in widths from about three eights of an inch on up. Wider, say one inch or more, will spread the load around the neck or shoulders. Webbing tape can be tubular or flat "single" thickness, "hard" (and stiff) or soft and very pliable. You can buy a few feet of it off the roll and then perhaps have a shop that makes safety harnesses sew it up for you with end clips to fit the camera strap rings (... Or someone else that knows how to sew nylon webbing. Or use stainless or solid brass rivets from a leather shop).

Wider stiffer webbing must be used for the neck/shouler load area as very soft webbing will tend to roll up under load and cut in like rope. An accessory rubber shoulder pad can be used to spread the load further - or you can sleeve it with soft leather, wool or any other soft material of choice.

Hope this helps.
Lee