Re: [OM] Kit for son-in-law

Subject: Re: [OM] Kit for son-in-law
From: Jim Couch <jamesbcouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 09:41:59 -0700
Sounds like a pretty decent kit for what he plans to do in general.
Personally I would sub the body as I have been left with a dead OM-2s
body to many times climbing. I believe the problem is the fact that the
camera can be easily turned on while in the pack. My primary climbing
camera has been the OM-2n. An OM-1 would be a good choice as well. If
you do carry the OM-2s bring PLENTY of extra batteries! I have gone
through three sets (one in camera and two spare sets) in a weekend.
Careful packing of the body can also help.

As for lenses I regularly use a Zuiko 35-70 f/3.5-4.5 and often add a 24
f/2.8 as my climbing kit. The 28-85 Tokina AT-X f3.5 - f4.5 while
bulkier covers most of that range well and extends it on the long end.
Personally I do not find 28 quite wide enough most times, but that is
purely a personal choice.

As for filters, a polarizer, warming, and haze filter are all very
useful for altitude use.