Re: [OM] more Power Parachute pics

Subject: Re: [OM] more Power Parachute pics
From: "Richard Allen" <dickallen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 13:36:18 -0400
Tom,
I couldn't help but chuckle while reading your comment on this
free-spirited endeavor. At an earlier age, I had the opportunity to
aquire an Ultralight aircraft, building it from a "kit" of cloth and
tubing.
After several weeks of ground instruction and taxiing up and down the
dirt runway, I was cleared for takeoff. Within a half hour, I had
accomplished the tightest loop on record (for aircraft).
I struck powerlines and cut through the first of the set, but
catching on the second one, this caused a 360 degree loop and prompt
deposit on the road below. Where I was recognized with great gusto by
a pair of elder ladies (out for their morning constitional), with the
words, "Encore, Encore" and vigorous applause. Luckily, I was not not
injured phyically. Not true for my mental outlook. I took a rest for
about two years before attempting anything remotely connected to
flying myself around. I was finally enticed once again, when
attending the EAA show in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, buying a Mitchell Wing.
I went to the factory and took lessons the second time and enjoyed
the sport for about five years after that.
It's great fun, but don't let anybody tell you it isn't dangerous.
Richard