Re: [OM] Camera like digitals

Subject: Re: [OM] Camera like digitals
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 17:07:04 -0700
In a message dated 8/7/2002 Winsor Crosby writes:

<< Mike

Are the slow write speeds mentioned in several reviews troublesome in
actual use? >>

If you mean the slow write speeds I hear continually harped on re: the
E-10/20 the answer, in my experience is no--most of the time. If you can
live with shoot four frames, wait a minute or two, and shoot four more,
you'll never even notice. Most a typical OM shooters quite likely would
never even notice. If you come into an E-10 from a 35mm wunderbrik that
blasts through 36 frames in 3.6-5 seconds, then you'll likely have issues.

The one area it may be most significant would likely be shooting
models-where you get into a groove firing off frames and run out of buffer
space. One would think it an issue shooting motorsports, and to a certain
degree it is. But not something that (for me) is a show-stopper. I find that
after panning four shots in quick succession that a brief rest while the
buffer dumps is not such a bad thing.

BTW, after reading the way the 5700 focuses I would have to say YUCH!

The E-10 is now officially discontinued (or so I have heard), is priced
quite reasonably now (while there is stock left) and is a fantastic little
digital camera. The files make excellent quality prints, comparable to 35mm
film, up to 11x14 (maybe bigger--I haven't dared so I can't say for sure).
Operation in manual mode is very intuitive. One dial for shutter speed, one
dial for aperture, both displayed.

There are some little niggling things one must learn to work around, but
nothing terribly disappointing really.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com