RE: [OM] more Power Parachute pics

Subject: RE: [OM] more Power Parachute pics
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 08:02:32 -0600
> I don't know what your paraglider gizmos are like, but teaching
> landing is the most difficult thing I have come across

 Landing a paraglider's really pretty easy -- sure, when they're teaching
people doing it for the first time like me, they make sure it's easy landing
conditions, but I don't remember anyone in the whole class having any sort
of problems, or even falling on landing.

 You just come in towards the ground, and just before you're about to touch
down, pull on both the control handles at once; that stalls the canopy and
you drop the last foot or so. Because you're flying into the wind at that
point, ground speed is low, but there's still enough airspeed to keep you
up, and when the canopy stalls it doesn't stall very hard.

 Honestly, it's really easy. Takeoff is the hard part, if anything. (because
if you get that wrong, you're normally running down a slope, which isn't the
ideal thing to fall face-first onto. Not that I'd know or anything.. :) )

 -- dan