Re: [OM] OM-10 Help Wanted

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-10 Help Wanted
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 13:33:55 -0400
Shaun,

We all started with the basics, so it is a great question and quite on
topic.

Essentially, it is telling you the shutter speed that the camera will
choose, if you pick that aperture.  For example, 1000 means 1/1000 of a
second, while 8 means 1/8 of a second.

If you are handholding the camera, which you probably are, you want to keep
it above 1/60. If there is any action in the photo, you're better off with
1/250 or above.

My suggestion is to get a decent roll of 400 speed film and set the camera
for it (on the top of the camera).  Then you can go shoot with fairly small
apertures and fairly fast shutter speeds until you get used to what you are
doing.  That also makes the accuracy of your focusing a little less
important, as you'll have more depth of field.

Oh, one more thing.  A HIGH number means a small aperture, while a LOW
number means a large aperture.  A little backwards, isn't it.  You usually
want to stay in the range of f/4 to f/11 or so for the best pictures.

Very basic, but it should get your started.  I am sure others on the list
will jump in with more detailed, and better, answers.

Welcome to the Olympus world and to the list.

Tom