RE: [OM] what would be a reasonabe price for a 35mm shift

Subject: RE: [OM] what would be a reasonabe price for a 35mm shift
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 18:42:50 -0500
At 18:11 8/8/02, Winsor Crosby wrote:

I have been on this list a long time and that is the first time I remember seeing such a statement about the 35mm shift. I think the only thing you have to do is to make sure that you meter, according to Olympus' instructions, in the centered position no matter which OM model.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

"Does not mate well with the OM-1[n]" means the user must be patient with the metering and let it settle down with aperture changes. The Auto lenses are held wide open and bias the meter with a lever that moves with the aperture ring. The Shift lenses do not. There is the tab to bias the meter to a baseline of f/2.8, but it doesn't move with the aperture ring; it's fixed.

The lens must be manually stopped down and metering occurs from the actual amount of light allowed past the lens aperture. Like all the other OM bodies, the OM-1[n] meter responds immediately to the changing biasing when turning the aperture rings on Auto lenses, but unlike all the other OM bodies it doesn't with manually stopped down Shift lenses. The type of meter in the OM-1[n] has a "persistence" or slight "memory" that must be allowed to dissipate for a few seconds when metering through the manual stop-down Shift lenses.

I wouldn't characterize this as "not mating well" with an OM-1[n] but it is an effect the user of a Shift on one needs to be aware of.

-- John