RE: [OM] OM owner emeritus

Subject: RE: [OM] OM owner emeritus
From: "Larry J. Clark" <ljclark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 16:56:07 -0400
If you go back and check the original post, you'll see that I didn't switch
from SLR to RF.  What I did was to change emphasis, add RF to my arsenal,
and approach SLR photography differently.

  -- Some of the photography I'm doing now just can't be done with an OM.
Period.  I has to be done with long lenses driven by a fast AF body with
good metering.  In my case, the Nikon F100.

  -- A stated before, I had already fallen hard for the new Cosina
Voigtlander RFs.  I find them wonderful for travel, and my recent vacations
and business trips have been all the more enjoyable for bringing Bessas
along.  They fit the bill for that sort of shooting better than SLRs (at
least for me...YMMV).  I don't find that I miss long lenses when I'm
traveling, because in my photos I'm trying to convey a sense of place and
space.  Telephotos tend more to give you a sense of object -- the C/V 75mm
is my least-used lens.

Had I not the need for the big tele/AF combo, I'd remain happy with the OM
system, but in my recently adjusted world, I found that the OMs were astride
the fence, and not really contributing to one solution or the other.
Redundant is probably correct.

Look folks.  Lets get serious.  I'm convinced that when you add everything
up, Olympus built the finest MF SLR system.  And I DO mean "system".  Build
quality, size, photographer oriented features, etc.  (About the only serious
complaint I've heard down the years has been from photographers with really
big hands...Some of them just couldn't find enough room.)

And as mentioned by someone in another response...For someone with a serious
hankering to conduct macro and/or astro and/or technical 35mm
photography...Look at all the really neat goodies you can attach to an
OM-3Ti or OM-4Ti (if you want to go whole hog) or an OM-1n or OM-2n.

Larry