[OM] E-20N User's Report Long

Subject: [OM] E-20N User's Report Long
From: "Dave Dougherty" <davdou@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 11:45:19 -0700
After a few months of a learning curve with the E-20 I thought I would offer
some observations in the interest of giving "hands-on" experience to those
of you contemplating purchasing an E-20 and, also, to seek some advice from
those who already do use an E-10 or E-20.

First, this is not meant to be a $1500 P & S camera.  The auto focus does
not work well in low light or in macro mode.  I was disappointed in the
sharpness of the photos I was getting using Autofocus.  I then began to use
M/F in theses situations and the results are beautiful.

It is very important to use the Aperture Priority mode if you are shooting
anything in Macro mode that is 3 dimensional.  The camera will almost always
set itself to a large lens opening, ie. f2.8 or f2.2 if you use Program
mode.  You will then have very limited depth of field if you zoom in.  As in
using an OM system camera, common sense on the part of the operator is
necessary.

Finally, as reported everywhere, this thing really, really eats batteries.
I like to see what I have just shot; if I look at the LCD alot, the
batteries last for about 24 shots.  So, I am thinking about getting a LiIon
pack for it.

On the positive side, when used to it's potential by a slow-learning
dunderhead, the E-20 produces beautiful results.  I love being able to
experiment and get immediate feedback.  So far I have shot 492 frames with
it.  The cost of conventional film and processing would have been pretty
high while I was learning with a complex film based camera.

I still shoot with my OM-1 and OM-2 and I will continue to do so.  The E-20
is very intuitive vis a vis the OMs and I find that switching back and forth
is relatively easy.

Dave Dougherty