[OM] Rambling: OM 4/T vs. C3000

Subject: [OM] Rambling: OM 4/T vs. C3000
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 23:08:16 -0700
So we have the Camedia C3000 for over two years now, and about a year ago, the Zuikoholic bug bit me again, and since then I have shot many pics w/ both cameras, although the C3000 is usually used by my wife. I think I have come to some assessments.

First of all, I end up shooting a lot of interior shots, but I had bad experience with the F280 10 years or so ago, so now I try to get the fast f2 lens (and the 50/1.4) and fast films. For films, I am pretty much settle on Provia 400F and Superia 800 when I need prints. I scan them in the computer anyway.

I have to say that generally, for low light interior work, the fill flash of the C3000 does an excellent job. It tends to get that everything is sharp look because of the DOF is higher, but there is a good chance that the shots will be decent. Generally, I found that at f2, some of the Zuiko shots are just too soft. Especially the 40 at f2, and 35 at f2. 50 at 1.4 is actually better, IMHO. I haven't used the 28 at f2 much yet but I think it's better than the 35 and 40 in that regard. So points in favor of the C3000 for low light work, except for the 50/1.4.

Stopping down though, there is no contest - unless once again if the scene can benefit from the fill flash (in bright sun, backlight etc.), the Zuiko pictures are better. It's sharp w/o being harsh. Any of the lens I have are good, but the 40, 50 (both 1.4 and 2.0), 90 and 180/2.8 are just wonderful lens.

I am somewhat disappointed at the results I get from the 24/2.8, 35/2 and 135/2.8, but I think in most cases it is because my techniques are not good enough, and not the lens fault per se. I am still learning a lot about the limitations of the auto exposure and the care and feeding of the spot metering, and the film latitude etc. Again, the fill flash of the C3000 gets shots, but they are sometimes too harsh and too sharp. And perfect exposure doesn't always give a pleasing pictures. I thought I got some lovely candid shots using windows light, but the shadow and the yellow cast from the room lights sometimes give undesirable results. Again, I know if I use the C3000, the auto-magic exposure system and fill flash will get me a good picture - that looks like a snapshot. I want something better. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't....

Well, thanks for letting me rambling on... :-)

One of the things that lured me away from my OM4T 7-8 years ago was the difficulty in focusing. I have to say with the fast lens (and I always have the Beattie Interscreen), I found I can focus as fast as using the autofocus most of the time.

// richard http://www.imagecraft.com
[ For technical support, please include all previous replies in your msgs. ]