RE: [OM] OK, so who's got the virus ...

Subject: RE: [OM] OK, so who's got the virus ...
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 12:33:24 -0600
> I have even heard of certain versions of Window trying to
> write back thumbnails automatically onto the
> camera memory card that contains the original large files.

 Yup, Win2K does this if you use the 'thumbnail' view of a folder containing
image files. The memory card's just a file system, after all, so the OS
doesn't see any reason not to do it there, just like it would for any
directory in 'thumbnail' view.

> The rule to avoid this is to do nothing with your memory cards when
> interfaced to a computer except download your files. Never
> delete files, format, or do anything else with your memory card
> with the computer it is connected to.

 I've never had a problem with this myself -- as long as you remember to
close all the windows pointing at the drive in question before removing the
card, everything works fine. It doesn't appear to flush changes until the
last window's gone, but even the times when I've messed up, there's been no
ill-effects except that the changes I thought I'd made hadn't happened, and
those have always been deleting files as it is.

 Of course, your mileage may vary; you mention Macs, and I have exactly zero
experience there.

 -- dan